Director of Human Resources Administration
The College of Humanities and Sciences (CHS) and Virginia Commonwealth University invites applications for a professional faculty appointment to serve as the Director of Human Resources. This position is a key member of the Dean's Administrative team and is responsible for human resources initiatives in the College of Humanities and Sciences, while understanding financial needs and providing guidance to allow the school to grow effectively and efficiently. This position is responsible for oversight and supervision of human resources administration within the College of Humanities and Sciences, promoting an inclusive and rewarding work environment and recognizing the importance of diversity. This 12-month position has responsibility for supervising individuals in the Deans Office. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated record of fostering a diverse environment and a plan for continuing to do so as Director.
This position oversees human resources within the College and ensures compliance with applicable Federal and State laws and regulations, and University policies and procedures. This position work to resolve complex personnel issues.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- provide leadership and guidance on HR issues and participate in decision making and implementation of HR policies, procedures, programs and functions;
- provide guidance on complex and confidential issues and employee relations and performance management issues with oversight from the Provost's Office, VCU Human Resources, University Counsel;
- oversees central HR administrative processes relative to faculty appointments including coordination of faculty personnel matters with respective Chairs/Directors, monitoring of the College's recruitment activities, and administration of the various faculty processes (e.g. salary administration, scholarly leave, retirement programs, overloads, etc.);
- oversees central HR administrative processes relative to classified staff appointments including coordination of classified personnel matters with respective Chairs/Directors, monitoring of recruitment activities, performance and appraisal processes, compensation actions, and recognition awards; documents for new hires and changes in status;
- oversees staff in faculty contract renewals, off-cycle salary increases, study- research/educational leaves, faculty early retirement programs, etc.;
- consults with Senior Associate Dean for Finance and Administration on all facets of daily operations as needed and communicates changes in University personnel policies and procedures and ensures proper compliance is followed;
- participates with deans/associate deans in planning, research and effectiveness; policy development and problem resolution;
- participates in the resolution of "crisis-like" issues and provides triage and management of personnel issues, equity, Title IX and other matters that arise in the College;
- serves as primary contact for Threat Assessment Team and Title IX director;
- manages compensation issues to include pay adjustments, bonuses, faculty merit, recognition awards, FLSA, and other requests by providing advice and guidance, while working closely with central HR and Office of Faculty Recruitment and Retention;
- makes recommendations regarding equity issues;
- in conjunction with supervisors, leads on all employee terminations in the College;
- charges faculty search committees;
- serves as “Reviewer” for the College on all staff performance plans and evaluations before they are presented to the employee;
- reviews staff performance and performance evaluations; oversight of progressive discipline, coordination of staff disputes and grievance procedures in accordance with applicable Federal and State laws, and University policies and procedures
- supervises and works with the Staff and Leave Personnel Manager in all matters related to classified staff including performance plans, evaluations, staff and faculty medical leaves, etc.;
- conducts exit interviews and reports data as appropriate;
- routinely reviews policy library, laws, and best practices to stay current and suggest improvements;
- identifies skills possessed by employees and tries to strengthen the workforce by nurturing those strengths;
- facilitates actions designed to improve workplace climate;
- implements strategies to meet goals of the college's Diversity Initiatives; and
- serves on various university committees.
- An advanced degree or training and work experience at a level that equates to an advanced degree
- Substantial experience leading a human resource team preferably in a university setting
- Excellent written and interpersonal communications skills including a positive, helpful, service-oriented attitude
- Experience and/or training in conflict resolution and proven ability to render professional judgments
- Excellent analytical, planning, critical thinking, problem solving, and organizational skills
- Significant experience in handling confidential matters and protecting confidential records
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize and interpret complex and sometimes conflicting policies and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with all levels of employees in a university setting (e.g. administration, staff, student, and faculty)
- Proven ability to manage multiple assignments at once while maintaining attention to detail and meeting deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, take initiative, and exercise sound judgment and discretion
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and apply university policies and procedures
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced, multi-task work environment that may present conflicting deadlines
- Experience in training others on HR policies, procedures and practices
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do at VCU
- Working knowledge of HR-related federal, state policies and procedures, understanding
- Strong work ethic and commitment to integrity and ethical behavior
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of products in particular Word and Excel
Only electronic applications will be accepted. Please apply on-line at www.vcujobs.com.
Please submit a CV, cover letter and names of three references with your online application.
Please contact Donald Young, firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Application review will begin immediately.
Start date will be November 1, 2017.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity affirmative action company.
Women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
About this company
Virginia Commonwealth University is a major, urban public research university with national and international rankings in sponsored research. Located in downtown Richmond, VCU enrolls nearly 31,000 students in 223 degree and certificate programs in the arts, sciences and humanities. Sixty-eight of the programs are unique in Virginia, many of them crossing the disciplines of VCU’s 13 schools and one college. MCV Hospitals and the health sciences schools of Virginia Commonwealth University comprise the VCU Medical Center, one of the nation’s leading academic medical centers.