We are looking for an experienced QA Manager to join the Stone team at our new location in Richmond, VA!
This individual will be responsible for implementing and verifying quality strategies and systems of food/beer safety, regulatory compliance and beer quality requirements utilizing Stone Brewing’s principles and best practices which contribute to world class standards of operation through monitoring and evaluating QA standards to continuously improve performance. This individual will supervise activities related to quality assurance in the brewery which includes staffing, scheduling, coordinating, planning and administering the brewery’s quality management program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
- Implement and manage QA program and Standard Operating Procedures with regards to incoming materials, analytical, sensory, microbiology, sanitation, brewing, fermenting, aging, filtration, blending, finishing, packaging, warehousing and distribution of finished packaged beer.
- Formulates and maintains quality control objectives, and coordinates objectives with production procedures with other managers to maximize quality and reliability and to minimize costs.
- Oversees the development and analysis of statistical data and specifications to determine present standards and establish proposed quality and reliability expectancy.
- Oversee the operation and maintenance of laboratory equipment such as GC, UV Spectrometer, pH, cell counter, alcolyzer and densitometer.
- Manage process capabilities of laboratory instrumentation and equipment.
- Makes recommendations for new laboratory instrumentation, equipment and services. Coordinate and manage vendor service contracts and agreements.
- Manages QA team to ensure continuous control over materials, facilities, services, and beer.
- Plans, promotes, and organizes training activities related to quality and reliability.
- Analyze technical data and recognize trends that adversely impact quality.
- Apply high level root-cause analysis and problem solving skills to resolve process and beer quality issues or concerns.
- Assist in the investigation of nonconforming goods in the three tier system.
- Participate in supplier site audits.
- Participate in internal auditing, including audits and inspections by 3rd parties.
- Manage track and trace for finished goods.
- Ensure all quality analysis functions are performed according to established Minimum Check Frequencies.
- Leads safety, financial and operational performance, laboratory asset care and reliability for the quality assurance business function.
- Promotes the production of high quality finished goods that are safely, reliably, and efficiently handled throughout the supply chain.
- Leads, mentors and develops team and facilitates interdepartmental, cross functional exposure in other operational areas.
- Promotes and consults with leadership on strategies to create an inclusive and engaging work environment.
- Monitor and ensures the safety and quality of Stone beer by adhering to all regulations, policies, programs and related guidelines.
- Effectively partners with operations to improve process and beer quality.
- Develops local strategies and tactics in alignment with the brewery and integrated supply chain / warehousing strategic plan.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees and assisting with planning, assigning, and directing work; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Provides regular performance feedback to direct reports including reviews.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Education: Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university, preferably in a Science or Engineering field such as Chemistry, Biochemistry, Food Science, Microbiology.
Experience: At least 7 years of directly related experience leading and managing quality in a manufacturing facility; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have knowledge of and experience with GMPs/GLPs. Knowledge of brewing process from a QA standpoint essential, including ASBC methods. Experience showing a demonstrated understanding of the concepts of manufacturing such as Six Sigma, Process Capability, World Class Manufacturing, TQA, etc highly desired as well as demonstrated ability to establish and implement plans for changing workplace strategies. Must have knowledge of or experience with HACCP. Experience with inline instrumentation and yeast propagation a plus. Food sensory analysis training/experience a plus. Cicerone program or Brewing certificate a plus. TTB Certified Chemist a plus.
Must have at least 2 years of supervisory experience.
Stone Brewing is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.
Pre-employment background check, drug screening, and physical are required.